Sunday 24 March 2013

YELLOW DAYS


Easter is very important in Norway - I think we have the longest Easter holiday in the world. Everything closes from Wednesday afternoon until Tuesday morning. You'll find some supermarkets open on Saturday, but only for a few hours.

A lot of people take the whole week off, which means that there have been traffic queues out of the big cities from Friday. Spending Easter in the mountains is very popular - and this is exactly what we are doing this year. But we'll be leaving on Wednesday, which will be another day of traffic congestion I should think.


I love Easter! Basically I love traditions, and spending time with my family - doing things together, eating good food, talking, laughing, having fun, leaving everyday stress behind. And when Easter arrives, you know that spring is just around the corner.

Easter last year - the Easter bunny brought eggs filled with goodies! Like he does every year! Jelena, Sophie & Mira

I've been known to ski in earlier days, and at least I'll be bringing my cross-country skis to the mountains. But if I don't feel like skiing, then I won't. I'm a big girl now (a Big Mama actually) and can make my own decisions.


Les Trois Vallées, France - 1982

Norwegians are big on candlelight - because we have such long dark nights most of the year. The only time I'll use yellow candles, and yellow napkins for that matter, is at Easter. The colour yellow for me is completely tied to Easter. Eggs, chickens, sunlight, oranges, daffodils, full moon. So I'm in the process now of stocking up on yellow stuff to take to the cabin in the mountains.


Blogging about Easter today made me think of some memorable Easter moments, and I found some old photos. Always great fun to reminisce!

Easter 1971 with "Tanzanian" friends Anne Grete and Greta - one of our first holidays ALONE - no parent supervision!


Easter 1972 - London with Grete - we travelled by boat & train! With our parents' blessings!

Easter 1977 with sister Kari - a LOT of snow at our holiday house in Kragerø, southern Norway

Easter 1980 in Brighton, England - the crazy tradition of painting on eggs - I recognise at least two of my exes!

Easter 1987 - Johanne & Julie - the latter in Easter dress and socks

Oh yes - Easter has come around again. The season that lies ahead is the best for me, knowing that the snow melts fast now and that I'll be kissed by the sun soon, very soon. The changing seasons are of course very much a part of our lives here in the North - but why does one of the seasons have to linger so long?





1 comment: