Saturday 9 March 2013

ART AND THE CITY


This afternoon we went to see Jelena perform in "Annie" at the ART Musical School. It was really a musical workshop - as the instructor explained - and as this was a production designed for the school choir members, the main focus was on the songs. Jelena has been ditching choir practice for a while now (preferring dancing), so she had to accept the role of policeman, instead of singing orphan. Too bad, because her singing voice is terrific. But she's a great actress as well, and I don't exaggerate when I say that her few lines and descriptive expression as a policeman fending off the amourous passes from Miss Hannigan induced the strongest response and laughter in the audience. And I'm totally objective, of course I am!

Policeman on right

I've talked before about the associations that just go on and on in my head. To me that just shows how intricately the mind works. As I was watching and listening to the "Annie"-songs today, my thoughts wandered to other musicals I've seen and loved. And who else should spring to mind than Audrey Hepburn, the star from my all time favourite musical "My Fair Lady". I've loved Audrey since I was a little girl!


The story of this cherished painting on my living room wall: My sister and I were in Zürich, Switzerland in the spring of 2006, and as we were walking the cobblestoned pedestrian area in the Old Town I was suddenly aware that she wasn't next to me. I turned and saw her waving from a doorway - the Foxx Galerie. She had noticed a Marilyn Monroe pop art painting in the window (Marilyn's her favourite) and like a magnet she'd just been drawn inside. Thus began our acquaintance with the works of German artist Jörg Döring. I fell in love with this Audrey Hepburn painting, but next day was Sunday and the gallery was closed.

I couldn't stop thinking about it, and my sister eventually called Foxx Galerie for me (I didn't dare do it myself in case of bad news). Sure enough - it had been sold.

In October my husband and I were in France, travelling by car this time. My sister called me and said Jörg Döring was exhibiting in Zürich, and maybe I could find a similar painting if I went? So instead of driving back to Norway through Germany, as we usually do, we drove to Grenoble, then Geneva, then up to Zürich - just in time to make it to the "vernissage." I explained my predicament to the gallery assistant - the Audrey painting had been sold under my nose, but "Do you happen to have something similar? Please!" She took me round the Gallery and then suddenly! Something dawned on her! "But the buyer returned it! It didn't work in his living room..."

Audrey was mine. As was Robert de Niro in "Taxi Driver" ("You lookin' at me"?). And the Mickey Mouse balloon with the two little guys next to it, waiting to join the Easter Parade. And these quotes:

"New York is an ugly city, a dirty city. Its climate is a scandal. Its politics are used to frighten children. Its traffic is madness. Its competition is murderous. But there is one thing about it - once you have lived in New York and it has become your home, no other place is good enough."

"Living in California adds ten years to a man's life and those extra ten years I'd like to spend in New York."

There were photos taken of me and the artist. With the owner, Claudine Bandi. With all of us. There was Prosecco, there were strawberries. There was a long conversation with the painter himself, who loved my story.

Jörg Döring is obsessed with American pop culture. Do have a look at his webpage! You'll find my painting too!

On another artistic note - here are some fantastic pictures that Grete has taken, in a busy underpass where people come and go all the time. Guess who the model is! And she wasn't self conscious for a single moment!







 









2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art in all its unfolding.....

    And as Audrey is to Döring, so you are to me :-) :-) :-)

    (Previous comment removed because of spelling mistake. Cannot have that on your page, you word smith :-)

    ReplyDelete