Tuesday 12 March 2013

SMALL OBSESSIONS


I wrote yesterday about my obsession with David Bowie - well, I wouldn't really call it obsession - it's LOVE! Pure love! And enthusiasm!

I have more obsessions. Or loves. I think that small obsessions enrich and spice up you life because they make you happy and content. Your hobbies for example, or your football team, or your cooking, or your wine club. Books, music, sports - the list is infinite. But it's all got to do with being enthusiastic about something - about doing something that makes you feel good.

Or shopping. Oops. Touché. I'm sure that if you ask my closest friends they'd say - "Shoes!" Without a doubt.


Last year two of my friends asked me if I knew how many pairs of shoes/boots I owned, and I replied: "Between thirty and forty." Immediately the two girls started rolling around the floor laughing. They couldn't stop. I'll be hearing this sentence until my dying day. (And they both own some shoes too!) They challenged me to count them - and I did. I'm going to whisper the result to you in a code: The number of days in three months plus ten. Well, at least that was last year. By now I can probably add ten plus five plus two, or something like that.



The above are my most expensive shoes - usually I'm quite content with cheaper ones. But they have to be leather or textile - no plastic! I love Besson Chaussures in France where I get most of my "collection." When my husband and I went in there in February, and he spotted me discreetly carrying two - only two! - shoe boxes over to the till, he totally lost it. "But they're on sale!" I pointed out. "It's not about the money!" he yelled, attracting everyone's attention, "A year only has 365 days!" Hmmm.... yes..... Point taken. When I stowed away my summer shoes last autumn, there were one or two - or three pairs that I'd.... hmmm.... forgotten about.

Portuguese pink pumps

Favourites! You can wear them with anything 

Hibernating summer shoes


Italian suede


Valentines chocolate shoe!

I really must stop posting pictures of my shoes now! I'll go on all night!

Did you think this was my only obsession? Far from it!

Scarves:



Elephants:


Elephant sweater

Sunglasses, especially Ray-bans:


Bracelets:

Hand made glass beads from Galerie Opper in Collioure

Leather bracelets

Hand knitted (by me) bracelets

Skull bracelets (for gifts!)

When it comes to bracelets, especially leather ones, I'm definitely not a "less is more"-person - on the contrary - the more the better! Lay it on! Never enough!

Deeply and assertively engaged in conversation - as usual


In 2013 I've decided to stop shopping. Well, cut down on it anyway. My friend Unni (one of the two laughing-at-my-number-of-shoes girls described above) has actually joined a StopShop group. I think I'll be an associated member....


No comments:

Post a Comment