Thursday 14 March 2013

EVERYONE'S BIG MAMA


This has been a typical Big Mama-week. Monday went by relatively smoothly. I drove out to have a look at the construction site for our new apartment block - they've just started! It will be ready by 1st September next year - how exciting!


Then I drove around the neighbourhood for a bit, out towards the sea. This used to be the location for Oslo Airport, up until 1998. Very convenient for us back then, only a ten-minute drive away, but then we had to cope with the planes flying overhead all the time too! The area has been transformed into a combination of office buildings and a LOT of new apartment blocks, and is basically a huge building site. But with it come parks, new beaches, bicycle tracks, cafés, restaurants and shops. I went for lunch at the old Sjøflyhavna Kro, which used to be the harbour for seaplanes. Very retro!




On Tuesday I was supposed to pick up my granddaughters - as usual - at 5 pm for dinner and homework. At 12.30 my daughter Johanne rang from the other side of town - "Can you pick up Mira at school? She's sick." Okay, so my day got turned upside down. I'm used to that. Then back out at 5 to pick up Jelena. (And they don't live next door either)! Then to the electronics store to pick up her mobile which had been serviced. Drove the kids home at 9.

View from outside my swimming club yesterday

Wednesday passed by mostly according to plan. Except I had to dig out Sophie's snowboard boots, helmet and snow goggles for Jelena's skiing day at school the following day and take them to my daughter's flat after my swimming.

Mira and chiuaua Odin - deeply missed (after Sophie's friend Louise had to give him back to the owner, who'd promised she could keep him)!  

Today I was finally settling down to do some work on our new website.... Riiing! "Mira has contracted impetigo (very contagious skin infection) and has to see the doctor straight away! She's also still got a strep throat and is feeling very ill so we can't walk there." (My daughter doesn't own a car). Off to the doctor's. Then off to pick up Jelena at school after skiing day, but she didn't turn up before I had to go to the other side of town to meet a guy who wanted to buy my old desk and chair. (Moving office). Put a note on my daughter's flat door to say mum and sister were at the doctor's (Jelena had left her mobile AND keys at home in the morning, concentrating on her snowboard and helmet).


Just managed to get away over to the other side of town a LITTLE too late to dodge the traffic, which is totally congested in that direction from about 2.30 pm. What hours do Norwegians work? It's a mystery! It never ceases to amaze me! And on Thursdays especially they leave work early to have "office at home" on Fridays, i.e. go to their cabins in the mountains for a long weekend. The young sweet couple who wanted the "Captain's" desk and chair were also a bit late (traffic jams hit everyone), but they were so delighted with these thirty-five year old pieces of leather furniture (from my parents' house) that I also gave them a small folding table to go in their newly bought huge house in the town of Halden, near the Swedish border, where they'd recently moved from Oslo (much cheaper to get established outside the Metropolis).

I realised I probably sold them the desk and chair too cheaply, because there was another guy who called me last night and said he wanted them unseen, in his doctor's office, and he kept offering me a higher price. He wouldn't hang up! But I don't break a promise - never!


To wrap up my Big Mama week (yes, I realise it's only Thursday!), I went to my nearby shopping centre to buy flowers, wine and vitamins, and a screen protection film for my iPhone. I told them my old one just peeled off, and they said "Well, you shouldn't have removed it then, otherwise we would have given you one for free to replace it. If you'd let us peel it off, that is." So they tried to sell me a pack of three, very expensively! I said thank you, but no thank you, and as I walked away the guy called me back. "Here you are," he said, opened the pack of three and handed me a protection film with a smile. What is it with young guys and old women!? We remind them of their mothers, I think...



So on this cold Thursday night in March - after a hectic week - I'll pretend the weekend has begun. It's my last day of driving my husband's Audi automatic, my last night of sleeping diagonally in the double bed - at least until Tuesday, when he'll be off again.

And this wasn't at all what I was going to write about today....

Love my "gangsta" girls, we're inseparable after all!

Exhausted





No comments:

Post a Comment