Wednesday 23 January 2013

WATER BABY


In the spring of 1967, just before I turned twelve years old, I discovered that I had a talent for swimming. I had moved to Africa with my family, to Dar-es-Salaam in Tanzania, and at the IST (the International School of Tanganyika) we were transported to the Missions to Seamen Club outside town twice a week to do swimming practice in their pool. I knew how to swim before I came to Dar, but that was about it, so we all had a jaw-dropping surprise when I progressed incredibly quickly and won a gold medal in a swimming gala after just a couple of months' practice. 

I've only just begun - at the Kilimanjaro Hotel pool, Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania

During the next two and a half years I was unbeatable in freestroke and breaststroke, and when the IST had its own pool constructed, I was coached there after school hours. Until I turned about fourteen and a half, when another interest suddenly took over - BOYS. I started to come second and third in competitions and I realised my mind was somewhere else when I swam - which party I would go to that weekend, which boys would be there, what I'd wear - what a shameless, unfocused, uncompetitive teenager I'd become! My coach shook his head and gave up on me. From then on swimming was only an ordinary but oh-so-pleasurable exercise for me.

The pool at the International School of Tanganyika, Dar

Our school swimming teacher Mrs J was an evil hearted woman, and one day after a double swimming lesson she challenged me to two lengths of backstroke, knowing it was far from my speciality. I couldn't believe my ears - I was ready to go to the changing room - but I did meet the challenge.... and won. After that she disliked me even more, but at least she didn't bully me again. Was she jealous, I wonder? What is it about some teachers and their need to dominate their students?

The pool at the Towers apartment complex, Kuwait

My summer pool - Marina Cape, Aheloy, Bulgaria

Wherever I've lived in the world, wherever I've travelled, I've always managed to find a pool to do my laps. Swimming is in truth the only sport I've done that I've never found boring. I'm always motivated for my 1000 metres 3 times a week. I'm in a flow when I swim, carefree, happy, strong, at one with the water. I have often wondered if I would have discovered my immense love of swimming if I hadn't been taken along to live in Africa all those years ago. Swimming has certainly not a been a huge sport 
in Norway, until recently. Sadly our best swimmer, unique sports and humanistic idol, world champion and Olympic hope - my hero Alexander Dale Oen, died suddenly last April from heart failure. What an enormous loss for Norway. http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jun/02/alexander-dale-oen-death

Swimming on top of Oslo

Finally eleven years ago I acquired my own pool - in France. Measuring only 6 by 3 metres it is definitely not an exercise pool, though I have actually managed to cover 700 metres in it once. A LOT of turning! But just the fact that it's there  - to float around in, to watch and enjoy - reminds me that water is my element. 



I'm even attracted to books and films that refer to swimming, and I recently read this excellent novel: 


And I love the films of French director Francois Ozon - try watching this one, "Swimming Pool", a thriller with a dreamy threatening atmosphere and excellent actors:

And again - NOT forgetting that this is Big Mama-blog - I've not managed to transfer to my children my love of swimming, but my granddaughters however! They swim and dive and enjoy the water as much as I do and I'm allowed to be any fish in the sea when we play, except a dolphin. That role is reserved for them!



And talking about the sea - I did not mention if I enjoy swimming in the sea, you'll be asking? Well, I don't - I'm terrified that sea monsters will drag me under, especially the Portuguese man o'war and other jellyfish. HEEEELP!! So perhaps I should correct everything I've written in this post - my element is not water.... it's chlorine!

Pool at Restaurant Le Gecko, Camélas, France



















No comments:

Post a Comment