Tuesday 29 January 2013

MY BEST FRIEND BILL


Having blogged a lot now about "Big Mama-alone time" I might have come across as very self-centered and self-indulgent (but that's partly the point too! Of course - this is me)! However, I do have an overwhelming need to communicate today one of the main reasons I go to London on my own - Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.


When I was a young girl at school in Tanzania we did William Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar" - and that was it for me. I fell in love. I began a long journey and a life-long crush. I discovered my idol. My one and only. My ultimate hero, and the reason I went to University to study English literature. When I read Shakespeare I feel deeply connected to him and his work.


I went on a business trip to London in April last year and discovered then that the current production at Shakespeare's The Globe was a run-through of all his thirty-eight plays - in thirty-eight languages. One language for each play, over a period of six weeks.


I truly went into a state of mourning when I realised I would miss out on this - how about watching "King Lear" in Australian Aborigine dialect, or "Love's Labour's Lost" in British Sign Language, or what about watching a Shakespeare play in Hip Hop!! I found out that the English language play - "Henry V" was extended after the six week festival, so I bought a ticket for June.


Oh joy! Oh happiness! I cried, I laughed, I joined in. I didn't want it to end. All alone there at the Globe, open roof, rented red blanket across my knees. Henry's war motivation speech "Once More Unto the Breach, Dear Friends" is imprinted on my mind - a result of my IST English teacher's endeavours in 1968 - "Learn this by heart - you'll never regret it." I know it all, and I even noticed that the actor missed a line!


I always keep my small book of Bill's sonnets close. My soulmate Grete challenges me to all sorts of things - and she challenged me to writing a sonnet just recently. I wrote one this evening, staying very close to the way my hero did it - abab - cdcd - efef - gg. And ten syllables per line. (I notice my notes are a bit muddled, but as long as I understood them..... the prerogative of an artist!)

Did I try to copy Bill's signature? (This is written inside the little book of sonnets)


Sonnets are basically romantic, a bit daring, a bit erotic... and a lot of shortenings are used to make the syllables fit! Here goes:

My love, I have not seen you since last year,
I long to set my eyes on you again.
I miss you, am in agony, my dear, 
When will we at last live and breathe as twain?
To see once more the beauty of your face,
To hold you in my arms and feel your touch, 
I will be drape'd for you in silk and lace,
Though not for long, at least we know this much.
You'll whisper in my ear how I've been miss'd,
And that you've long'd in pain each day and night.
No stopping now till ev'ry place is kiss'd,
The way you do your work is pure delight.
I'll carry with me lov'ly memories
When next your name is whisper'd in the trees.


















1 comment:

  1. All right You.... next challenge, to write in the style of Winnie-the-Pooh....... :-)))

    ReplyDelete