Tuesday 22 January 2013

AND THE POETRY IS IN THE FOOD


This is not meant to be a food blog - heaven and the internet know that there are plenty already - but because I didn't feel I had wrapped up the food poetry theme completely yesterday I'll do one more post on this. And be warned - this is definitely not the last time I indulge in food issues!

Yesterday's photos - I realised afterwards - were of oysters and mussels I'd eaten in restaurants,  mmmm.... delicious! Because I do a LOT of cooking at home, I thoroughly enjoy going out for meals, both to friends' houses (especially that) and to restaurants. My husband prefers eating at home, he thinks the best restaurant in town is "Chez Nous". But to be fair, he cooks too - well, occasionally anyway. Sometimes when I do the weekday cooking, when the food both has to be on the table in a hurry AND be nutritious, I feel like the lemon in the food poem above. On the contrary I LOVE weekend cooking, when I can plan a bit in advance, take my time, try out new recipes, experiment - and have a glass or two of wine to accompany me. This is just a small selection of my cook books:

Old & worn & have been with me forever

More recently acquired, on a specially constructed shelf in the kitchen

Home made bouillabaisse, home made aïoli


I was inspired yesterday when I looked through those erotic food poems I had created and not read for some time (no, not inspired in THAT way...)!, so I went through my book shelves looking for an old book I bought more than thirty years ago, called "Rude Food". I couldn't find it, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone borrowed it and "forgot" to return it... But I found this one, which has some absolutely gorgeous photos:

"The Cook Book of Desire"

To my delight I was reminded that the photography in this book was done by a family friend (one of my brother's very best mates actually) - Johs. Bøe. You must visit his website http://www.johsboe.no to have a look at more of his food pictures and other work for that matter - he is a superbly talented photographer.

I think I have established now that food and words and especially food-words are fun, and now we've even got photos to illustrate the point! Great!

I do love experimenting with new recipes, and have big difficulties just letting the recipe be, always adding or subtracting ingredients, or turning it around totally. Except for those really traditional seasonal Norwegian dishes - which according to most people should NOT be tampered with. My husband nearly had a fit when he saw me putting garlic in the gravy for our Christmas roast pork rib some years ago, but I just said "Trust me. I know what I'm doing. This is a flavour vegetable." Now he can't eat the roast without this gravy.



Home made meatballs

My bouillabaisse and meatballs, both pictured above, are without a doubt my biggest food successes - I have people asking me if I can make these dishes when they're next invited. I might think about sharing the recipes. Hmmm... yes.... I will. Think about it, I mean.... Even though this is not a food blog!






  







No comments:

Post a Comment