Saturday 12 January 2013

MORE REFLECTIONS ON GRANDMOTHERHOOD


My granddaughter drew this little candle-carrying angel for me last night, and I notice her eyes are heavily made up and she's wearing high heels. At nearly eleven, Jelena is well into these things and she and her friend spent yesterday evening experimenting with make-up, clothes and shoes.

Which brings me to a few more thoughts on grandmotherhood. Modern day grandmothers are probably a lot busier than the generations before us - most of us go to work and lead hectic social lives, we definitely have lives of our own and can't possibly devote all our time to grandchildren. Although I'm a frequent babysitter, my own appointments have been known to collide with the babysitting. Either I'm out travelling somewhere, or I'm spending time with friends, or, like tonight - off to a party. Which finally brings me to the clothes and the high heels! Yes - grandmothers these days wear short black dresses and high heeled shoes, and our grandchildren love it! My two granddaughters have great fun rummaging through my closet and picking out clothes, shoes and jewellery for me to wear for special occasions. And they have good taste! Tonight's outfit has been chosen by myself, however.

I love this dress from Noa Noa, it's embroidered with beads around the neck and along the hem. www.noanoa.com. My shoes need no presentation, I think - they are the really classic patent leather ones from Christian Louboutin - www.christianlouboutin.com. 

Before Christmas I visited a fantastic market here in Oslo called The Designers' Own Market, where designers present and sell their products for two days only. I went there to buy Christmas presents, but ended up with - amongst other things - these silver earrings with porcelain feline heads from designer Sara Skotte. I think they are lynx - very shy animals that roam the mountains and forests of Norway.
      

http://www.saraskotte.com/eng/

Have a great Saturday, everyone! I know I'm going to enjoy the party tonight - good friends, good food and good wine!

1 comment:

  1. beautiful shoes, beautiful earrings, beautiful you.......

    ReplyDelete