Thursday 24 January 2013

MALAIKA

School uniform with autographs from IST school mates & teachers

Reading through yesterday's blog post I couldn't help giggling a bit. This is how my three and a half years in Africa were described in my short version: Moved there at nearly twelve, participated in swimming contests for 2,5 years, got bullied by my swimming teacher, became interested in boys, went to parties at the weekend. Well, the theme of yesterday's post was in fact swimming, so I didn't elaborate on the details of my stay in Tanzania. But I will today. A little anyway. I can't possibly sum up three and a half years in a foreign country in one blog post.

First year, at Sea View Apartments

My father was employed by the International Monetary Fund in 1967 to work for the National Bank of Tanzania. My brother and I were enrolled at the International School in Dar-es-Salaam, my sister at pre-school. My Mum employed servants at home and went out for lunch and coffee with other expatriate wives - that's the way this life was lived in the expat community in developing countries in the sixties, like it or not.

Expatriate Mum, at 42

I knew a few words of English when I arrived (by then I'd forgotten the English I'd learnt in New York when I was three), my younger brother and sister knew nothing. Not a word. We learnt the hard way - we simply started school, shedding a lot of tears after school during the first couple of months, then gradually our parrot qualities kicked in (learning by copying, as most children are experts at). When the private English teacher my Mum had contacted finally called back, she said "You're not needed now, they've learnt English."

The IST, Dar-es-Salaam

When I arrived in Africa in February 1967 I was eleven years and nine months old. I left in July 1970, after having turned fifteen in May. These were my formative years, my puberty, an emotional, impressionable time, as anyone will know. These years have been with me forever, and I don't think I would have been quite the same person today without them. School - where I encountered the best teachers I've ever had, who taught me to love literature, the English language, French, history - even maths! Would I have been able to speak French today without this start? I don't think so. Friends (and hmmm.... boyfriends...) - from all over the world, some of whom I've connected with again - thanks to Facebook - after more than forty years! Getting to know a new culture - Tanzania - I read and devour everything I come across about this wonderful country. And I'm glad I was old enough to appreciate that I was experiencing something good, something great, something that paved my way for years to come.

Weekends at Mjimwema Beach

New house in Mwandu Lane

I was a child when I came to Dar. I was a teenager when I left. The culture shock occurred when I moved back to Norway. My friends there had become teenagers too, but with different references. Although we were privileged kids in Dar, shopping for fashionable stuff was never a priority because it just wasn't available. Our mothers took us to India Street to buy materials, and either made our clothes themselves, or got them made. My Mum was a fantastic tailor and sewed all my sister's and my clothes, including our school uniform dresses in blue and white stripes. She was the one (with the help of my constant nagging of course) who set the trend of "dress-shorts" - outfits that looked like dresses when you stood up or sat straight, but when you wanted to be a tomboy and spread your legs a bit (remember this was the sixties with minidresses) suddenly your school uniform was a pair of shorts! Brilliant, but slightly stretching the IST school uniform rules. 

My culture shock is worth elaborating on. I'll bear that in mind for a later post. 

Expatriate Mum & Dad
Anyone for tennis? The Gymkhana Club, Dar

And wow - I became a teenager all right in Dar! Boys, boys, boys. Parties, parties, parties. Girl talk, jealousy, tears. The Beatles, Doors, the Monkees. "Hair". "Je t'aime, moi non plus." I really do think I have to elaborate on all this too later on. 

Hanging out at the Yacht club

Dress made by Mum

Another dress made by Mum












No comments:

Post a Comment