Monday 14 January 2013

MUSIC MONDAY

I couldn't live without music. I listen to Spotify, I listen to CDs, and I even listen to my old records (even the 45s)! I listen to the radio, I listen (and watch) YouTube, I tape music programs and I go to concerts.

My daughters always say that all through their childhood and teenage years they loved coming home in the early evenings to be greeted by music from the CD-player, and on the way to our holiday destinations in the car they would take turns choosing which music to accompany us on our road trips. They would pick out Roy Orbison, Willie Nelson, David Bowie, the Beatles and Queen. Amongst others. When they wanted to listen to their own music they'd put on their headphones and turn on their Discmans (Discmen?) Now that they are grown up we have enjoyed concerts together - we went to see both Adele and Lissie two years ago, and we've been to the Norwegian Wood Festival to see Rumer and Ringo Starr. www.norwegianwood.no. But there's one music interest I don't share with them - although I am open to most genres - and that's going to those enormous DJ-arrangements with Swedish House Mafia, Tiesto, David Guetta etc. I think I might be too old for these guys. And I think my daughters are glad they don't have to drag me along to these events.

Although I listen to a lot of old stuff, I've always got some new tunes playing in my mind, and on Spotify. These days my absolute favourite is this song by Alicia Keys - Tears Always Win - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piJLXYi7OA0. Beautiful, heartbreaking - I can hear it again and again. Or this one by Mumford and Sons - I Will Wait - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGKfrgqWcv0. Or a floating ethereal tune by Norwegian band Röyksopp (of international fame) featuring singer Susanne Sundfør http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMlJ78-7rZ4 - Running to the Sea.

Here are some memories from concerts I went to in 2012:

Nick Lowe at Rockefeller Music Hall in Oslo

The Andrew McKay Jazz Quartet at Jazz After Dark in Soho, London
(I got friendly with these guys!)

Norwegian singer/songwriter Ole Paus in Portør, Kragerø, Norway

The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary Tour at the Oslo Spektrum


Chris Isaak at Sentrum Scene in Oslo

I'm sure 2013 has got lots of music joy in store for me. The first thing I look forward to is David Bowie's new album, from which he has already released his brilliant single Where Are We Now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWtsV50_-p4. It was wonderful to hear his voice again!

And if there's one trip I'm going to make this spring it's to London and the Victoria and Albert Museum to see the retrospective David Bowie Exhibition!! Can't wait!  http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibitions/david-bowie-is/

1 comment: