Friday 11 January 2013

REFLECTIONS ON GRANDMOTHERHOOD

I was only forty-seven years old when I became a grandmother for the first time. Two daughters were still living at home, the youngest one, Sophie, was only eleven. I had just started to get my head above water, to look forward to some adult life again, after years of prioritising my children's needs, as any mother will acknowledge and appreciate. I felt that I really did not need another baby around - yet.

But all of a sudden - here was this tiny baby girl, yes - yet another girl cast into our family, taking everything for granted - food, care, love.... and of course she was the most beautiful creature EVER. This happened ten and a half years ago. Her sister was born two years later, and guess what! She was also the most beautiful creature EVER.

So - I still feel I became a grandmother too early. I still feel I could have benefited from a few more years between motherhood and grandmotherhood. But life turns out the way it does, and there isn't an awful lot we can do about it. And what is really the main issue here - time passes so incredibly quickly, and before we know it our children are big and strong and independent - like my granddaughters are now. But they still need a babysitter once in a while, and that's what I'm doing tonight!



I asked them what they would like for dinner tonight - and they said TACO! So that's what they are getting! And ice cream and chocolate and Coke, and they'll be allowed to watch the Disney Channel and the first episode of a new series of Pop Idol and play all the games they want on their iPads, and even borrow my Mac and headphones. And I never spoil them - no, I don't.

1 comment:

  1. life has it's own ways....lucky kids :-) lucky grandmother :-)

    ReplyDelete