Monday 21 January 2013

THE FOOD IS IN THE POETRY


A little over a year ago I bought a small box containing a magnetic poetry kit called "Food Lover". I was with three friends in Strömstad, Sweden, we were shopping, and when I showed them what I had bought they rolled their eyes a bit and said "Typical you - what are you going to do with that?" They probably imagined the whole kit disappearing into a drawer to join a lot of other useless stuff. But no. A few days later I was stunt writing magnetic food poetry, and for Christmas that year my childhood friend and soulmate Grete gave me another kit of magnets, so that I could broaden my food vocabulary.


I love words and the point for me was to have fun with them - food-words would definitely give me that opportunity - and perhaps to combine words that weren't an obvious match. I love cooking too, so all in all this was a self-imposed but attractive challenge for me. Another challenge was to try and use different words every time I composed a new poem - which was more or less twice a week. I quickly experienced two recurring thoughts during the creative process (if you can call thirty minutes per week creative, but at the same time that was the stunt aspect of it): That I was inspired by my own cooking and other meals I was served, and that erotic associations very quickly come to mind when you juggle food-words! Just think of aphrodisiacs! 


Enjoying oysters alone at the Refuel Bar & Restaurant in Soho, London


Oysters at Can Marty Bodega, Thuir, France

I posted my food poetry on Facebook during the following six, seven months, and I got a fabulous response. Some of the poems should really have been X-rated, but then again it's all in the mind, isn't it - and how you interpret different combinations of words. I can assure you that not one "dirty" word was used!


Mussels at La Flottille, St Cyprien, France

I'll end today's post with a photograph of my food-loving granddaughter Mira, after all I mustn't forget that this is a Grandma-blog! In this picture she has just finished a huge bowl of spaghetti with pesto and parmesan and other yummy things, and she has squeezed lime into her drink. Both my granddaughters learnt food-words before other words, and they weren't just any food-words either! No - they knew gourmet food-words almost before they could pronounce "Mimmi"!



(And if you have read an earlier blog post about my husband's Magical Mystery Tour at http://kjerstihornmoen.blogspot.no/2013/01/tgif.html - well, the secret destination is revealed! The three friends are now on their way to Malaga - probably the only snow-free place in Europe)! 















No comments:

Post a Comment