Thursday 16 May 2013

THE RED HORDES



Fortunately - I must admit - I'm finished with the crazy tradition called "Russefeiring." All my children have been there, done it. Somehow I have a feeling that this celebration is unique for Norway, though of course every nation has its own end-of-school rituals. The above photos depict my daughter Sophie's dead and rotting one-piece jumpsuit after nearly three weeks of celebrating, and the photo below shows her - thank heavens - still alive and well, with her plastic bracelets intact (entrance tickets to all the various gigs and parties these crazy, hoarse, immune-impaired teenagers go to). This was in 2010.


The "Russ Celebration" marks the end of thirteen years of school, when you finish the equivalent of A-levels, or High School, or the Bac. It goes back a long way, and all us grown-ups believe it gets worse and worse, but I don't really know. I suppose we were pretty prone to partying too. Below a few photos from May 1974:

The hats resemble the proper student hats you wear for immatriculation to the University 


The only time of year you're allowed to sit on the roof of a van - in the Parade

We used to have painted red vans - today's "Russ" have enormous buses with huge sound systems that blast you from here to eternity. Fortunately the police did not allow these rolling discos in the streets, so the Red Hordes have to go to designated areas to show them off. I remember waking up in the night all through the first half of May with what I thought was a heart attack when a bus drove past our house. (Old, old Big Mama).

Your nickname painted on the brim - why I was called Cash I can't remember.... oh yes, I can.... 

For many years now the celebration has started on May 1st and ended on our Constitution Day May 17th. Then exams follow! What a letdown! Most of the students are sick, tired and very unmotivated for exams - which are probably some of the most important exams of their lives! When I was young - and up until 1979 - the exams were done before May 17th, and the celebrations started on that day and went on for about a week, the exact opposite of today's ritual. A big discussion here now to return to this system!

Grete

"Okay - enough now - of everything"


My granddaughters are eager to see the "Russ Parade" tomorrow - where they'll ask for cards from every red-clothed teenager they spot. Each "Russ" has his and her own card with a slogan. My granddaughters ask me every May - "What was your slogan, Mimmi?" I tell them I don't remember. Between you and me it was: "Why be tall when you get more drunk as small?" Oh no. Oh no.

No comments:

Post a Comment