Wednesday 8 May 2013

HERBAL HOLIDAY


Herbs make a meal. Well, almost. Winter temperatures here in Norway kill all herbs, and when you're addicted to herbs like I am (the good ones, the good ones!), it's a real tragedy when they wither and die before your eyes in a draughty easterly kitchen window. I use them desperately in all meals before they're gone!

Rain on my kitchen window this evening

The other day - when the sun was shining... now it's gone as quickly as you can say "Norwegian spring" - I bought three different herbs - oregano, basil and mint. As well as decorating my window sill they enhance every meal I make - from my breakfast omelette to the roasted chicken dinner and the salad.

Tonight is the night before a Norwegian spring holiday, and my granddaughters are staying over. I took them to the grocery store to get some snacks, and they chose cauliflower and dip. Healthier than most things children stuff themselves with! (Which reminds me that my own children never really liked sweets - they chose veg & dip, olives & sun dried tomatoes for Saturday goodies).


Tonight I cooked chicken stuffed with lemon, garlic and the new herbs. Spices and butter on top, veg and wine making up the yummy juice.




Mimmi's snack is not too bad either. Happy holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment