Monday 27 May 2013

CHAMPAGNE AND ROSES!

Tables set on the terrace

Busy days and no time for blogging, which some of you might miss and some of you might appreciate. "Finally she's keeping her mouth shut for a few days!"

I celebrated my birthday on Saturday - again - with a party for family and friends. This tradition goes way back, since I'm one of very few in my family who can boast of a spring birthday, and we can eat outdoors. The others are nearly all born in the darkest period from November to January. But some of them have held birthday parties in spring or summer - well, why not? People hardly ever remember your date of birth anyway!



I decided to cook something I could do in advance, so that I didn't have to spend all Saturday over the saucepans - there is always plenty to do in preparation for a party anyway! So on Friday I made a bowl of Margarita that I put in the freezer, rolled and fried 125 spicy meatballs and peeled 2 kilos of prawns that I marinated in a hot Cajun sauce and cooked in the oven. All I had to do on Saturday was to make salad, tzatziki and hoummous and cut the bread. And lay the tables and tidy the house and vacuum the floors and find glasses for the Frozen Margaritas and yes.... my husband did a few things too. After the guests arrived I left most of the host duties to him.

Whether you like it or not people come bringing gifts to a birthday party - though that's really not my main intention when I arrange it! But I'm always touched at the thoughts my friends and family put into their presents.



A huge bouquet of dark pink roses, a magnum bottle of champagne, Italian wine - red and white, beauty products - lotions, creams and soaps, books - and last but not least a gift card for a massage or a beauty treatment. I think my family and friends know me! For me the act of opening presents and reading cards is a mixture of joy and embarrassment - joy because everyone likes to be appreciated, embarrassment because I'm never really sure I deserve the attention.

For some reason the weather is always gorgeous on the day I decide to throw my birthday party. And I have to take a chance because here in Norway you can of course never rely on the weather. Though most of us sat outside the entire Nordic night there definitely weren't southern temperatures. But there were plenty of blankets! The last guest left at three thirty, and one friend spent the night here - she lives out of town.


The sunny weather continued into Sunday, and I spent it basically moving in a triangle between my garden hammock, the dishwasher and food loaded with carbohydrates and calories. I'm usually very disciplined about my low-carb/no sugar diet, but yesterday I seemed to forget all about it. Salty crackers straight from the paper bag dolloped with layers of "foie gras" and black olive tapenade, potato salad with cream and mayonnaise, and finally, to top it all, a couple of Frozen Margaritas - and I had drunk none the previous evening - filled to the brim with sugary stuff.

Then I went to bed and slept for nearly eleven hours.

So - back to the grindstone today, after nearly a week of celebrating me, myself and I!





No comments:

Post a Comment