Monday 20 May 2013

SUMMER EXPLOSION!


The last few days have been fantastic here in the Country Closest To The North Pole. Our temperatures have been higher than in southern Europe, and fruit trees and other flowers have exploded into bloom in the course of one day. I've been busy celebrating our Constitution Day with family and friends, barbecuing, planting flowers, watching the Eurovision Song Contest, sunbathing, having my granddaughters over, going for long walks and generally relaxing during a long weekend, with today off as well - Whitsun Monday.


Margaret Berger, who came 4th in the Eurovision Song Contest

The most wonderful thing has been the heat - and with it the possibility of practically living on the terrace way into the night. This is not something you can do very often in Norway!


I'm throwing a small party on Saturday, and I'm hoping that the weather will stay this way - which I don't think it will - because my guests are going to have to eat on the terrace. My house is absolutely untidy at the moment so I can't possibly lay the table anywhere inside!

My friend Grete and I went for a three-hour walk yesterday, and before we set out we decided we wanted to be near water (not a strange wish in 27 plus), but we decided against the seaside, which would've been overcrowded yesterday. So we walked around a lake in the woods - Sognsvann - which was probably no less crowded. As we approached the lake we could both smell and see the smoke from hundreds of small grills, and there were people everywhere on the grassy banks. And some swimming too!


Same pier, but in autumn - what a contrast!

The peace and quiet of this photo tell a lie - just outside the photo on both sides there was shouting, laughing and splashing from the crowds, ecstatic at finally seeing the sun and feeling the heat

Tomorrow is my birthday, and I'm being allowed to choose how to spend it - so I'm pondering this at the moment. A walk downtown maybe - lunch - preferably outdoors - then dinner with the family in the evening. Which I'm definitely not going to cook!

I love asparagus - they are the only vegetable that tells you where they want to be cut!








No comments:

Post a Comment