Friday 8 February 2013

YOU LIFT ME UP


Before I start on the theme of today's blog post I have to say a few words about my friend and soulmate Grete. She and I have been friends since we were in first grade. We've shared girlhood secrets, we've travelled together, we've been maids-of-honour at one another's weddings, we've seen each other's children grow up. These days - Big Mamas the both of us - we spend time together going for long walks, then still talking afterwards in the car, we go to exhibitions and lectures, and we party together with our husbands without having to think of that babysitter at home! 

Bygdøy, Oslo - where Grete & I often roam


Interrailing in Italy summer 1973 and visiting friends (my ex actually)



We grew up in the same neighbourhood, we still live in the same neighbourhood, and when my husband and I bought a flat recently, my first thought was: "Will I be able to walk to Grete's house, or is it too far?"

She is becoming a superbly talented photographer - well, she is already - and she was the one who some years ago actually managed to make me relax again in front of a camera, after years of refusing to be photographed. She challenges me to do all sorts of crazy playful motions in front of her lens - to begin with I was embarrassed, but not any more! The more she shouts at me and bosses me around, the less I care about those Sunday walkers and joggers staring and pointing as they pass us.





I will ask her if she'll allow me to write about and show her photography in a blog post. It's simply beautiful.

I'm realising as I write this that the theme of my blog post today was supposed to be my cut-out poems, which is demonstrated in the top photo, and which I've been placing around in previous posts. This was also a challenge from Grete. But before getting there it was necessary to write about my creative, wild, beautiful, empathic, inspiring rockin' friend! Do YOU know anyone who would challenge you to composing one hundred poems from the first one hundred pages of a book in one hundred days? Well, I don't. Except for this Other Crazy Big Mama - my friend. And the funny thing - I wasn't even all that surprised when she presented her challenge. I'm used to a LOT of creativity and innovative ideas from that direction - after a friendship that's lasted for nearly fifty-one years.

So this blog post was for you, my sweetie - my inspiration. Cut-out poems will have to wait until tomorrow.

You lift me up.



Remember Venice?

Relaxed. Yes.










1 comment:

  1. *she bows......deeply*

    in gratitude......to this. To all......

    ReplyDelete