Wednesday 20 February 2013

OUR HOUSE

Autumn view from my window

Winter view from my window

Spring view - my birthday party in May 

I have lived in my house in Oslo for exactly twenty-nine years and six months. We bought this house just before we got married, moved in just after we got married, I gave birth to my first-born just a few months later (yes, I was a pregnant bride). 1983 was a stressful but eventful and happy year for sure.

Our house has views on a small stream called Mærradalsbekken. I call it Amazon River in summer, because the undergrowth and the trees that line it resemble a tropical rain forest rather than a small urban oasis. In the course of the years that we've lived here we have lost at least three hours of evening sunlight due to enormous trees. But the local municipality are very unwilling to cut down trees.


There were many times during our daughters' childhood that we made attempts to look for a larger house, but we never really found anything better. The closeness to everything in our area is fantastic - a seven-minute drive into the city centre, proximity to the sea, to shopping centers, public transport - everything. Urban but idyllic. Central but quiet. (Sounds like I've already made a sales prospect).


Five years ago we renovated the upstairs bathroom and the kitchen - finally - and these rooms became EXACTLY what I wanted. My bathroom is a small spa, with a deep Philippe Starck bathtub, scented candles and dimmed lights. My kitchen is superbly functional for all my cooking - I do my kitchen dance between the cupboards and the different appliances, everything in its place, everything simplified. And soon I'm going to leave it all.



And my basement room! A bit 80-ish, but still our party den, the children's and ours. This is where we sent the kids to watch TV, to play Playstation, where we threw their birthday parties, where they listened to music (LOUD), where I listen to music (LOUD). And where we've just celebrated our second last Christmas.


Christmas at the bar

Pictures of my guys on top of the bar


I have a record player!


But the time has come for us to move on. Our children don't live here any more. What did I just say? They don't live here any more? Correction: They don't live here all the time. All of a sudden they happen to be between rental flats and travels and boyfriends - you name it - and they come moving back in again. So their former three bedrooms are always ready with made-up beds. 

This is where we'll be moving. They have only just begun clearing the building site:


Our flat will be in the building on the right. Moving in late 2014. I'm so glad I have a long time to prepare the move. Both physically and emotionally.







1 comment:

  1. Soon it will belong to the chest of memories. But what a treasure chest......

    ReplyDelete