Friday 22 February 2013

THREE SISTERS

Johanne, 29 - Julie, 26 - Sophie, 22

When our youngest daughter Sophie was born I immediately said to my husband - "Oh, a third girl! Are you disappointed?" Oh my - the two of them, the midwife and the husband, scolded me in unison. "A beautiful girl! She's perfect! How can you say something like that?" Well, all I can defend myself with is that women who've just given birth are a bit confused and exhausted. It probably crossed my mind there and then that my husband would have liked a son. But he for one wouldn't have it any other way.


And he's in good company, with several stars: Bruce Willis has three daughters, so does my favourite actor Jeff Bridges. Bob Geldof has three (glad we didn't have the same taste in names though). Come to think of it - doesn't Matt Damon have three daughters too? Anton Chekhov wrote a play about Three Sisters, William Shakespeare's King Lear has three sisters in it. And Shakespeare writes about three witches in Macbeth. He says nothing about them being sisters of course, but I've always imagined they are! Woody Allen's "Hannah and her Sisters" is one of my all time favourite films. Three sisters again! And how many daughters in the Downton Abbey family?

Posing all beautifully dressed up in national dresses on Christmas Eve

But then they can't resist doing gangsta poses! With Jelena!

If I should pick out one thing in my life that warms my heart endlessly, that gives me enormous pleasure and happiness, it's the fact that these three sisters actually LIKE each other. Of course they had sisterly arguments when they were younger, and still do - but they really ENJOY spending time with one another! Laughter, jokes and snappy one-liners echo through the rooms when they are all together. Music comes on, gossip, clothes, jewellery and make-up exchange hands quicker than I can yell "who's staying for dinner!" 






They are also very supportive of each other. Not at any cost - they certainly know how to be frank if they feel one of them is making bad choices - but there's never been any doubt of their loyalty to one another - against us if necessary! And that's how it should be.

I found these road signs in my garden one morning - their idea of a practical joke.... Crazy little party girls!

The Three Sisters, Blue Mountains, Australia

Johanne's 29th on December 7th 2012

Big Mama!













1 comment: