Tuesday 16 April 2013

REGULAR CUSTOMER


In November I discovered a new café in my neighbourhood, and it's since become my regular haunt, my sanctuary - where I take friends or daughters, or simply just myself. Next to Café Malou in this wonderful old wooden building are two shops - one selling children's clothes, the other full of lovely gifts, furniture, accessories and clothes, including a corner of second hand stuff.



The building that houses these enterprises is called Schlägergården. It dates back to the start of the 19th century, bought at the time by a glazier called Johan D. Schläger, who let the buildings out to small artisan producers. By 1865 there were seven inhabited houses here, and from 1920 onwards manual labourers from the district made their home here. The houses are protected by the government, and they have been reverently renovated and restored by today's owners.

The café is incredibly cosy, with a fireplace and lots of different types of wooden furniture in several rooms. Hardly any of the tables and chairs are alike! And the soups! They are so good that even a soup-cooking expert like me is full of admiration. Today for lunch I had cauliflower and broccoli-soup with olive bread and aïoli. Sophie had a quiche that I know is yummy too!



The tables and chairs are decorated and laid with some of the treasures you can buy in the shop, candles, candleholders, lanterns, trays, bowls, sheepskins, blankets, all complete with price tags - a great way to tempt you further into the crooked little rooms and eventually to the grand lofted hall of treasures!








This one is mine - bought at Malou's!

Ooo - how I'd love one of these pairs! My birthday's coming up soon... It would almost be fun to wear glasses!

My kinda boots

From Malou's, these belong to me too - leather purse and peace pendant - the latter one was my trade mark when I was a teenager - I always wore one dangling around my neck!

I heard today that Café Malou has been granted a licence to sell wine - so this will now cease to be just a lunch café for me. Evenings too! 

Make sure that if you're in the area you'll drop by - you won't regret it. And if you see a blond Big Mama in the corner, that'll most certainly be me!







No comments:

Post a Comment