Tuesday 9 April 2013

BEAUTY COMES FROM WITHIN?

At the hairdresser's today - before the three and a half hour session

I've never been the kind of luxury person to frequent beauty salons in order to have facial treatments, manicures, pedicures, massages, botox or restylane fillings, silicone, facelifts, eyebrow shaping and well, you name it. But there is one type of luxury I do indulge in - and that's going to a top class hairdresser.

There's something about the whole atmosphere at my hairdresser's Hexagon - located in my neighbourhood - which makes me feel special, taken care of and pampered. The girls who work there are the best, and I followed one of the owners when she left her former salon and started her own business with three others. This must have been something like fifteen years ago.

My husband gets his hair cut in France or Bulgaria and he keeps trying to persuade me to do the same: "It would save you a lot of money, you know..." NO WAY! I'd never let anyone else than the girls at Hexagon even touch my hair!

As a last pathetic attempt to recapture youthfulness I'm growing my hair again - just to see what it feels and looks like. On the other hand - when I was out with my daughter a couple of weeks ago I was asked if I was her sister, so maybe I don't need long hair, or restylane for that matter, to reach desperately backwards to try and grab that lost youth. I also firmly believe that women (and men) look better when you can read the characteristics of their lived lives in their lines.

Hairstyle one year ago

Hairstyle 1975 

Hairstyle 1980

I have actually been to a salon to have manicure and pedicure - and guess where? In New York City, of course! The nail parlours are on every street corner, and we had one just a couple of doors down from the condo we were renting on 2nd Avenue.


While one of the employees was doing my nails another one came over and asked me if I wanted a massage, and of course I said yes! Who wouldn't! She kept saying: "Ten more minutes?" I kept saying: "Yes please!" When I finally managed - with immense self control and restraint - to drag myself away from the two lovely ladies, they presented me with a bill so huge that my hairdresser expenses in Oslo seemed like peanuts in comparison.  


And as for massage - well, I've been known to enjoy this type of indulgence too. In fact I'm having one tomorrow. 

But never botox!










No comments:

Post a Comment