Thursday 11 April 2013

MASSAGE FOR BODY, MIND AND SOUL!


Yesterday afternoon and evening I had fun in Oslo! A couple of weeks ago my husband and I booked ourselves a massage each and decided to make a night of it. After the massage that is. We did not go to one of these big spa places, but tracked down a tiny massage parlour on a side street in the centre of the city. Milena the masseuse was a great discovery! I have had a lot of massages over the years, but this one - oh wow!

She could of course only massage one of us at a time, so while my husband had the first hour, I strolled around the neighbourhood - Kvadraturen (which means squared area or grid). This part of Oslo has been somewhat renovated, but I must say that there is still a lot to be done. I hadn't been in this area for a long time, but nothing's changed much. I also used to work in a bank down here the decade between 1980 and 90, so I was stepping in my old tracks.



I had a coffee at Joe and the Juice, which I thought perhaps was a competitor to our Smoothie-bar, but it wasn't really. They sold no smoothies, only juice, coffee and crushes. But their coffee was fantastic!

At five o'clock it was my turn to have the massage, and I chose a "Hot stone" treatment, which means being kneaded with sizzling rounded stones. Oh, it was good! It was perfect! Milena knew her stuff! The only thing is that the minute I lie face down on that bench I keep dreading the moment when she whispers: "Finished."

At Milena's

Having posted about a hundred hairstyle photos of myself in my blog the other day, I'll spare you a photo of myself on the massage bench - hmmm.... probably not a pretty sight anyway, all oily and well...  more or less naked. I must admit I jumped just a tiny bit when Milena suddenly pulled down my knickers (yes, yes - I was still lying face down) and used those hot round stones on my backside. THIS did not happen to me before! I wonder how I'd have reacted if it were a man.... My husband told me she did the same to him though. But she had such a sweet and nice and gentle personality that it really was very natural. And extremely effective!


I found my husband afterwards in a pub around the corner called The Whisky Bar, where neither of us had ever been, and it was so cool! The ceiling was made of whisky bottles!

But we had to get a move on because we still had a long night ahead of us, and the first project was to get something to eat.


Many restaurants in Oslo have been taken over by Chinese owners, and when we entered one we thought was a fish restaurant, it too had turned Chinese. Well, as long as they served Dim Sum I was happy - one of my favourites! But I know a better one in Oslo - A Taste of China - whose Dim Sum comes close to what I've eaten in London, NYC, Jakarta and Sydney.


At least you get quick service in Chinese places! We were beginning to run short of time - Anna Karenina was our next stop at our favourite cinema - where the reclining seats have little tables between them and you can bring your drink into the theatre. A good opportunity to share a bottle of wine!

I notice that Anna Karenina has received very mixed reviews, mostly negative ones, but I enjoyed it! I like Keira Knightly. But I didn't recognise the dishy handsome yummy Jude Law in the part of Karenin  - I didn't realise it was him until I googled the film afterwards! I think I have to watch it again!


Wrapping up the evening with jazz at our neighbourhood café was a small let-down, because we got there just fifteen minutes before they quit. But we promised the band we'd come again soon.

Today's dinner - home made Thai fish cakes with vegetables, chickpeas and a green salad. Better than restaurant food any day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment