Friday 22 November 2013

PRETTY NORMAL ACTIVITY



I've been shopping in Sweden today. This is something Norwegians often do. Cheaper food, cheaper wine, cheaper everything. And it's an outing for the whole family! The four of us - my husband, two daughters and I - drove one hour and twenty minutes with an empty boot, bought groceries, wine, beer, protein powder and ink cartridges, filled the boot. On the way back we witnessed an incredible winter sunset over the fields of south-eastern Norway, which Sophie photographed from the car. Apparently it's been spectacular everywhere across southern Norway, because Facebook and Instagram are crammed with similar photos. There's nothing like a colourful sunset to get those mobile cameras working! I really like this - we human beings can watch breathtaking sceneries, sunsets and sunrises eternally (hmmm... maybe I don't get to watch a lot of that last category....), and we NEVER tire of them! Again and again we marvel at the beauty of our earth.


I can't pretend that store-bought hamburgers are my favourites, but there's a Swedish chain called Max, which makes a point of being a bit healthier than the other chains (naming no names). Their presentation of nutrition info and healthy choices - and just biting into the hamburger meat and noticing the difference - will practically convince you. The above pic is of my burger lunch today - the low-carb one - no bun, only lots of veg and salad. Okay then, a slice of cheese is spotted here, I agree.....

My husband was tired after our Sweden trip, but so far the treatments are working remarkably well. Or shall we say, they are not making him any worse. Two weeks of radiotherapy now - only four more to go. Yesterday he had physiotherapy at the hospital to relieve some of his old hip and back pains, and the therapist said that there really are no limitations to physical activity as long as he's aware of the signals his body sends him - exhaustion, unusual pains, nausea etc. So before I knew it he was sawing and cutting and shoving twigs, branches and bushes into the boot of the car and accompanying me to the garden-waste dump, where we proceeded to do everything in reverse order. He was so pleased yesterday that he'd stayed awake and active all day!

A very good friend came over last week and cut down three trees for us - one in the front garden and two in the back. We've been meaning to do this for ages, and when we called him he was here with his chainsaw within ten minutes. Thank you, Per!

Before - front

After - front


Before - back

After - back


Fifth trip to dump - getting used to it (though a bit weary)

I love nothing better than to spend my life in our usual everyday way. Our family and friends contribute to this - they help us make things roll along the way they've always done. With no exaggerated gestures, no big deals, no forced efforts. An invitation to the cinema. A Sunday lunch. A Monday evening dinner. Cutting down some trees. A telephone call. A surprise visit. A walk-and-talk. An old photo of my husband sent by email. An MMS text from friends and neighbours in France. An email from friends in Ireland. An old friend sleeping over and staying for breakfast. A small Facebook heart from a daughter's friend. A sincere dialogue with a neighbour. Caring, considerate words.

What I think is this: We would have received and experienced all these anyway. They may be more in abundance now. But I'm not so sure. I always knew that my family and friends are the best.




No comments:

Post a Comment