Sunday 10 November 2013

BIRTHDAY BOY


My husband is almost exactly forty years older than Julie. Here they are - 8 months old, 40 years and 8 months old. He was born on the 10th November, she was born on the 28th November. I think he looks an amazingly young 40-year old!

So - birthday today - and we cracked open a huge bottle of champagne that I received as a present on MY birthday 6 months ago - very appropriate, I think. We thought initially that we wouldn't be able to finish it (a double - 1.5 litres), but why did I even worry about this? My sister dropped by (driving - so just a taste), then my brother (not driving), then - best of all - champagne agreed with the birthday boy! He had two glasses!




My sister and brother both brought the birthday boy roses (my sister knowing her way around the house and arranging vases and cutting stems and helping herself to whatever it was she required), my sister-in-law (my husband's sister) brought wine, wholesome bread and a beautiful long-stemmed rose. From his daughters he got massage therapy and treatments, from friends other kinds of treatments - foot and body. The only one who didn't give him a present was me. But we've got our own plans....

All in all - celebrating this evening without thinking too much about the future.

Then everyone was off - but before we knew it my sister-in-law (not my husband's sister, but the other one) had dropped her mobile phone in the toilet and all of a sudden everything was as it should be in our little family - teenage son rolling his eyes, her nieces - my daughters - barely containing themselves with laughter, me gloating because it wasn't ME having this unfortunate accident, my brother going yeah yeah, what's new... and so on.

Yes. This is all happiness to me. (Or maybe not that mobile phone... Commiserating there!!)

And dreading tomorrow a bit. Starting treatments.






No comments:

Post a Comment