Thursday 24 October 2013

WALKING THE RIDGE



It's hard to believe that only three weeks ago I was on half-term holiday in the mountains of Telemark with my daughter and granddaughters. We were happy, we were carefree, we had fun. Or did we? We had left behind a husband/Dad/Granddad who did not want to come with us because he was not feeling well, but in fact getting increasingly out of form, with his left side not functioning properly. So we were on the phone with him constantly, but knew that Sophie was holding the fort. She phoned while we were on our way down on the Sunday, saying "I think I need to take him to the doctor this afternoon."

Three more days fighting incompetent doctors (Me:"It might be a stroke".... Doctor: "Oh, yes, no doubt"!), and then suddenly - thanks to our persistence - he was in hospital, not out again until twelve days later. I laughed out loud and a bit hysterically yesterday when he received the appointment letter (in the snail mail) for a head scan on December 2nd! This would have been the plan then, unless we hadn't protested.


We had tickets for Fleetwood Mac on October 20th - the best. The best band - perfect seats. He wanted to go, but the doctor advised against it. So incredibly symbolic of his will and intentions, but of course NO! No way. Steep steps, throngs of people, loud music, crazy lights. But his age, all of 'em - I'll grant him that! Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lindsey Buckingham (what a name), Stevie Nicks... Such legends! One of my best friends got his ticket. I think she enjoyed the concert.

Someone told me this summer that I look a bit like Stevie Nicks - I can easily live with that - though she's 7 years older than me and 7 centimetres shorter than me - so my name from now on is the über-cool Stevie! Gonna grow my hair long! (Extensions it is).

My family - walking the mountain ridge

Yes, we walk that ridge. Yes, we balance. This is what we do, as human beings. We wouldn't be human beings if we didn't. Fall off this side, or the other. Or just roll down a little. Climb up again.


This is what it's all about, I think.

Italy 1991

Black & white cat (Beyonce), black & white shirt, black & white life. That's it.







No comments:

Post a Comment