Tuesday 1 October 2013

COLOUR MY CITY WITH CULTURE



Colourful entrance outside Oslo's National Museum

This afternoon I finally got around to visiting the huge Edvard Munch anniversary exhibition in my own city - Munch 150. This comprehensive retrospective exhibition (in two Oslo museums, and with simultaneous events around the country) marks that it's 150 years since this world famous painter was born. I had time today to reflect on how popular he is and how modern his art still seems.

I've had the kind of day I simply love - the kind of day that lifts me up and inspires me and stays with me for a long time. It's simply because I've had a "cultural fix" which satisfies my addiction to all forms of art. I drove my car into the city (bad girl! - You should go on public transport! Yes, I know, and it's cheaper too. The toll and the parking are enough to ruin you). The beautiful weather is stretching into October - I'm enjoying it enormously, knowing that it won't last.


Going to typical tourist places in your own country or city is always interesting because you're surrounded by foreigners. All around me at the museum I heard Japanese, Chinese, English, French, Spanish, Italian. And Norwegian of course, different dialects. Everyone seemed to be in awe of everything, but the biggest crowd gathered in front of the above painting - "The Scream" - no surprise there really. The photo on the left shows the version on show in the National Gallery, the one on the right is in the Munch Museum, where the other part of the Munch 150-exhibition is. I bought a pass for both of them, so I'll be seeing the other one next week.



The first picture above is the postcard, the second one is a photo I took (strictly forbidden) last year at the Munch Museum of "Two Girls With Blue Aprons." I brought my granddaughters to the Museum and told them this was a painting of them. Or maybe of Edvard Munch's granddaughters. They were delighted!

Again two versions - "The Girls On the Bridge" 

"Apple Tree in the Garden" from the property Ekely, less than five minutes' walk from my childhood home in Oslo. Unfortunately they tore Munch's house down in 1960, but his studio is still intact. 

For me one of the best things about Munch's work is that many of the motives are from Oslo, or from the Oslo Fjord, or even from the coastal town of Kragerø, where we have our family summer house. It makes me feel very close to it all. Munch lived in Kragerø from 1909 to 1915. The tourist organisations in Kragerø use Munch's descriptions of their town for what they're worth, and one of them has become their PR-slogan: "Kragerø - the Pearl of the Coast." Munch said that living in Kragerø did him well, and he painted "The Sun" and "History" while there. They are part of the decorations in Oslo University's Ceremonial Hall.

"The Dance of Life"- the moonlight on the Oslo Fjord at Åsgårdstrand appears like this in many of the motives from this town

Moonlight on the Oslo Fjord - photo by me at midsummer

"Madonna"

"The Day After"

I can identify with both of the above pictures - hmmm.... Somehow I feel Munch speaks directly to me here. 

Going into the city today, seeing the Munch Exhibition Part One and having lunch and freshly brewed Assam tea in the National Museum's French Salon called for a proper dress code - or at least this was my thought. City Slick - yes! That's what I felt like looking today. Not often I get the chance, to be honest. 



Clearing out closets may lead to the best rediscoveries - this suede waistcoat suddenly jumped out at me the other day. It must be twenty years old. More rural than urban? Okay then - "cowgirl city slick."



But I'll save this umbrella for a rainy day! 

And perhaps let out a scream - just a small one - underneath it...

No comments:

Post a Comment