Friday 16 August 2013

SKERRY ME HOME


The other day I blogged about what a wimp I am in the boat because I hate to get wet when I'm supposed to be dry. Well, the above picture goes to prove what a good sport I am after all - this is me yesterday after a boat trip on meter-high waves, and WET is not even the word I'd use to describe my state. I was soaked, I was dripping, you could wring me - and all I could taste was salt. I couldn't see a thing through my sunglasses. Hmmm.... not looking too pleased. But at least I didn't whine and complain - I was with two brave gentlemen - who kept singing "I'm a sailor" (a modified version of Rod Stewart's "I'm sailing," I think) -  and I was trying hard to show off my own seamanship.

Two sailors, braving it on land too - in the sun.... hmmm.... rain...

Kragerø

As we drove the boat into the nearby idyllic seaside town of Kragerø (when the waves were still moderate) I enjoyed once again the views of the many islands and the seascape which is so unique for Scandinavia. The skjærgård, which is a typical Scandinavian word, really means an archipelago of skerries - or "rocks in the sea." Okay, there may be "rocks in the sea" in other countries too, Scotland for instance, but it's certainly true that it's in Scandinavia you'll see the most spectacular archipelagos.





This motive from Portør has been used frequently in advertising

My brother, sister and I have practically grown up in, on and between the skerries - swimming, fishing, diving, camping, sunbathing, picnicking, late evening barbecuing, mussel picking, crab catching at night with torches, flirting, kissing, rowing, boating. Friends from abroad found trips out to the skerries exotic and exciting. In summer you'll be lucky to find your own private spot out there - boating tourists anchor up and stay for days if not weeks.

Circa 1964? Perhaps '65?

My own children, granddaughters and their friends enjoying the "Skjærgård" of Portør, Kragerø:





Another day of rain today and definitely indoor weather. This afternoon I spotted three deer in the garden and didn't want to open the door to scare them away with the noise. They're very wary, so even my movement at the window made them lift their heads and stare towards the house. They were probably a mother and two calves (?) - well, deer babies anyway - and I managed only a very poor photo through the window pane. And a raindrop right in the middle of the lens! They sprinted away immediately afterwards when a door was opened by one of the brave gentlemen.


My Mum's roses

Big Mama very pleased despite the lousy weather - it's only rain after all!


No comments:

Post a Comment