Saturday 24 August 2013

HEAVY HEART


For the fifth time in eight years Julie has left Oslo again to go Down Under. This year she was only home for six weeks.

My daughter has fallen in love with Australia. She has lived in Sydney, now she's in Melbourne, where she works, has made a lot of friends and - she's found a man. She couldn't wait to get back to him, and he was desperate for her to come "home." Oh Julie - Oz is not your HOME! Or is it? Am I going to have to get used to the idea that she's making a home for herself in Melbourne, and that Oslo will gradually become just the place she grew up?

But did she have to go to the ends of the earth to find fulfilment? Australia is so far from Norway, almost the furthest you can travel - with the international date line just up the road. When I call her or skype with her there's a time difference of eight to ten hours, depending on the season and the clock. And I can't just jump on a plane and be there in a few hours, nor can I afford it! I checked the price of plane tickets for Christmas, and of course they cost a fortune.


But my baby's grown up and needs to make her own decisions. That's the way it is, and there's nothing I can do about it. Though I'll be missing her so much it hurts.

And today I have a heavy heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment