Wednesday 27 August 2014

IN SICKNESS AND IN HEALTH



I realised today that things may change very quickly when you have a tumour in your head. After a basically wonderful summer for my husband, me and the rest of the family - considering the grief of my mother's death in the middle of it all - we have now been struck to earth with a heavy blow. About a week ago my husband started showing the same symptoms as he did before his brain surgery last October. Reduced mobility and movement on his left side, facial contortions. In short - signs that the tumour is growing and pushing his brain sideways.

I immediately rang the hospital to speed up head scans (not due till late September) and the ensuing doctor's appointment. Today our fears were confirmed. There is growth, fast and furious.

He just finished a five-day treatment of chemo, and another one is planned for the 15th September. In the meantime the doctor has prescribed cortisone to reduce the swelling around the tumour, at a high dosage which will be carefully monitored and changed if necessary. Both the doctor and the nurse were impressed with his stamina - he played golf on Saturday and Monday, went out to dinner on Sunday and is playing poker tonight. He is determined to be up and about and participating!

I gave the doctor and nurse the short version of all that's been going on in our lives right now - having planned and arranged a wedding, moving house and not having sold the old one yet. "But at least you managed a long and relaxing holiday in Bulgaria," they said. "Oh yes, absolutely," I replied, "except that my mother died five days after we got there. The funeral was two weeks ago." I could actually feel their compassion then.

They pointed out something though - my husband has a strong, tight network around him. At every doctor's appointment we all accompany him - my daughters and I. Two weeks ago the newlyweds Julie and Josh came with him, and as the doctor said: "I've met the whole family now!"

Oh yes. We are so incredibly grateful for our daughters' loyalty, support and unconditional love. I honestly don't know what I would have done without them.





Daddy's girls!



In addition I am so lucky to have enormous support from the rest of my family and my friends. I never had any doubt that they all love me, but this! These expressions of constant care and offers of help touch me deeply, again and again. But when they compliment me on my strength during our trying times I find myself thankful - of course - but a bit uncomprehending. I seem to remember promising my husband something about staying with him for better or for worse, in sickness and in health - that rainy day in July thirty-one years ago.












No comments:

Post a Comment