Monday 30 June 2014

WEDDING FEVER


I've read that as a blogger you should post at least one entry per day, if not MANY. This is to keep your readers active and excited and make sure they don't lose interest! Well, my readers - maybe you have lost interest (I don't think so though) - but here I am again anyway. In a bit of holiday mode, a bit of stress, a LOT of wedding fever - mixed with apprehension and uneasiness at my husband's latest scan results.

Yes, the last brain scan results came through after our trip to France - on the 18th June - and I must say again that this period between the scan and the result, in this case two weeks and two days, is absolutely nerve wrecking. That's why we went to France for a week in between - to try to relax and keep a distance.

Bad news - and not so bad news. The tumour has started growing again… but slowly. Only 4 millimetres, and in the same place as it was originally - so not yet spreading by its "tentacles" - which is worse of course. The overly handsome tall and dark doctor, who is the total Dr Kildare - cut out of any hospital series - until he opens his mouth and speaks with a hilarious caricature accent (for me as an Oslo girl anyway) - is a very positive person and always focuses on things that can be done instead of things that can't.

So. Back on the chemo. In cycles of 28 days - 5 days on, 23 days off. But because of the summer holidays he gets to have a pause until August 13th - this will give him a good summer break. Unfortunately the chemo treatment shows its effects straight away - both physically, mentally and not least on his appetite. But not as bad as before!



I am at the family summer house in Kragerø - "enjoying" those mixed emotions of holiday mode, big work load, stress, anticipation and not least - the excitement that my daughter Julie is getting married! In only one week and two days from today, she and Josh will be husband and wife.

I am so incredibly grateful to my brother-in-law, who - with the help of my brother - has managed to rebuild the veranda! At Easter they came down to a completely wrecked and ruined railing and foundation and have patiently and meticulously built it up again. It's my oasis with the late evening sunlight, and is so presentable again for the wedding party - which takes place here on the 8th July.



Garden, mowed by me, new pennant - and rain much needed on upper lawn. But please, dear weather gods - no rain on 08.07.14!!

Our very loyal and good friend Per came down to the summer house with us on Monday, stayed for a while and helped roll out the boat and put it on the water. A trip with the boat into the idyllic town of Kragerø a few days later baptised us all in salt water for the first time this summer. As everyone knows I'm prone to serious whimpering when a drop of cold water hits me. Water okay when swimming - cold spray when fully dressed not okay. I've been called everything from drama queen to crybaby and prima donna to wimp. I don't care - I want my ocean trip to be pleasant - not an action sport challenge! But Per is a perfect boatsman, and it could definitely have been worse. And I was a good sport, but snuggling up into the comfy and warm terrace corner afterwards was quite all right.






Sooo much braver than me, though soaked through - kept offering their old grandmother their seat, their towels, their jackets. But I made it! Don't know why I'd bothered to wash my hair that morning though….

At last I'm doing something for the bride and bridegroom (not having been available actually - until now…) - so this week I've been ordering flowers and wedding cake, collecting shells for place cards, writing them with granddaughter Jelena, talking at length with the toastmaster, buying ingredients for the wedding dinner (cooking as of tomorrow), sorting plates and cutlery and discovering I've left one whole bag of stuff in Oslo, but contacted daughter Sophie to bring it down when she arrives, making the beds for the Australian family, who will be arriving three days before the wedding… and beginning to plan my speech. Our speech - my husband's and mine. 



What we do appreciate - the both of us - is that our daughter and her fiancé decided to speed up the wedding and hold it this summer. The original plan was to get married after Christmas, in Australia. But we don't know where we'll be then, in our lives, and certainly not where the progression of the brain tumour will be. Josh's whole family immediately got plane tickets for the Norwegian Stunt Wedding of the Year. The ultimate Norwegian/Australian union. 

I'm deeply touched.

Not revealing much if I say Norwegian shrimps are on the wedding menu…

Not revealing much if I say trampoline jumping is on the menu… Jelena teaching us how it should be done….








No comments:

Post a Comment